March 13, 1999
5-6 ounces tuna
1 red onion, diced
½ red or orange pepper, diced
1 cucumber, seeded and diced small
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon vinegar, white or champagne
1. Divide tuna into four equal portions and season with salt and pepper.
2. Gently pound the pieces of tuna flat in between two pieces of saran wrap. Discard the saran wrap and place each piece of tuna in center of four chilled salad plates. Brush the tuna with olive oil and re-season if necessary.
3. Mix the onion, cucumber, and red pepper in a small bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Place equal portions of the mixture on top of each of the tuna slices. Serve immediately.
3 cups orzo, cooked in boiling and salted water, drained, rinsed and tossed with olive oil
1 pound asparagus
1 small butternut squash
1 shallot, diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
1 cup vegetable stock or water
1 tablespoon butter (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
1. Thinly slice asparagus except the tips. Blanche the asparagus in boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes. Quickly drain and shock in a bowl of ice water. Reserve.
2. Peel and seed the squash and dice into small pieces.
3. In a small sauce pot, bring the stock or the water to a boil.
4. In a heavy stock pot, add the shallot, olive oil and squash. Add the boiling liquid to the vegetables and cook until the squash is tender, about 4 minutes. Add in the cooked orzo stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.
5. Drain the asparagus and add to the squash and orzo. Add the cheese and the butter and stir until creamy. Place in four dinner bowls and serve immediately.
2 ripe bananas
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate, cut into small pieces
1 cup heavy cream
1 terrine mold or 4 ramekins, lined with sugar or saran wrap
1. Bring the cream to boil in a small sauce pot. Stir in the chocolate until well incorporated and keep warm.
2. Peel bananas and place whole into the terrine mold or cut in half and place one half in each of the ramekins. Pour the chocolate mixture over the bananas. Chill for one hour and serve.