Chef David Burke
New York New York
Air date: Dec. 2, 2000
Menu: Onion Soup
Country Cousin Chicken
2 tbsp. butter
1 1/2 qt chicken stock
3 sprigs thyme
salt and pepper to taste
4 slices white bread
Gruyere cheese - sliced
1. Sweat the onions until soft and caramelized add the chicken stock (see recipe below) with the thyme.
2. Cook over medium heat for 40 minutes. Adjust seasoning
3. Pour into serving bowls.
4. Cut the crust off a slice of white bread and roll it flat with a rolling pin. Dip edges of the bread in water to slightly moisten.
5. Place the flattened bread over the top of the soup bowl and pinch wet bread edges to the sides of bowl to make a seal. Place the cheese slices on top and place under broiler for about a minute until the cheese melts and the bread puffs up.
1 large chicken (about 4lb) or 2 breast and 2 legs (skinless and boneless)
3 strips bacon
3 Yukon gold potatoes - cubed
1 bunch scallions - roots removed, white and green parts sliced
1/2 pint wild mushrooms
1 carrot- sliced and blanched
1/2 bunch parsley
1 garlic clove
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
1. If using a whole chicken quarter then de-bone. Slice breast meat very thin.
2. Place breast meat in one layer on four ovenproof plates and broil for 5 minutes. Turn once during cooking.
3. While breasts cook, chop the leg meat and the bacon slices into 1/2-inch pieces. Saute slowly until cooked through over low to medium heat.
4. Add the cubed potatoes and garlic cloves and cook until almost crisp.
5. Add mushrooms and blanched carrot slices, sliced green onions and chopped parley. Cook few more minutes.
6. Remove the chicken breast from the oven and divide the vegetable ragout evenly among the plates over the chicken.
7. Whisk together the olive oil and the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle the mix over the chicken and vegetables.
Ingredients Method Ingredients Method
5 egg yolks
2 cups half and half
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 vanilla bean (or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract)
2 tbsp brandy (optional)
1. Bring the milk, cream, vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon and 3/4 of the sugar to a boil.
2. Whisk the yolks with the remaining 1/4 sugar until it lightens in color to a pale yellow.
3. Add some of the milk mixture to the yolks to temper and pour everything back to the pot.
4. Cook for 3 more minutes over low heat. Do not boil. Add the brandy.
5. Pour into ramekins (4-5oz each) place in pan with water bath and put in 350-degree oven until sets. (about 45 minutes)
(From David Burke's Cookbook)
5 lb. chicken bones: necks, backs, chicken carcasses
6 qt water
2 onions, quartered
1 carrot, cut into three pieces
1/2 bunch celery including leaves, roughly chopped
1 tbl peppercorns
1 bay leaf
1. Rinse chicken bones
2. Place all ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer and cook 3 hours. Skim foam every 1/2 hour and discard. Strain and discard all solids. Refrigerate, and remove and discard all surface fat.