MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. (CBS/AP) The texting tug-of-war continues between former New York Jets reporter Jenn Sterger and NFL quarterback Brett Favre as representatives for both parties claim that the other proposed hush money to keep Sterger quiet.
Last month, Gawker sports blog DeadSpin reported that Favre left several inappropriate voice mails and sent lewd photos to the sideline reporter when they both were with the New York Jets two years ago. The Minnesota Vikings quarterback has reportedly admitted to the NFL to sending racy voice mails to Sterger, but denies sending graphic photos.
Sterger's manager, Phil Reese, said Tuesday that he contacted Favre's agent in October to alert him of the information he believed to be damaging to both their clients. Reese claims that during that conversation the quarterback's agent asked if he had "a specific figure in mind that could make this go away."
But Favre's agent, Bus Cook, said it was Sterger's camp that actively pursued a payday. He said he believes money has been the sole motivation for Sterger.
In a statement to the Associated Press Cook replied to Reese's allegations stating, "Her manager and her lawyer have made numerous overtures to me...at least 6 between the two of them. We were never going to pay them, we didn't pay them and we will never pay them. Because, there is NO reason to pay them!"
According to ESPN, the NFL is attempting use electronic forensics to trace the paths of any photos or messages sent between Favre and Sterger.
NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Tuesday he had nothing to report on the investigation.