Live

Watch CBSN Live

2nd infection reported amid infant formula probe

COLUMBIA, Mo. - Authorities investigating a possible link between the death of a Missouri newborn and the formula powder he was fed say another baby in the state may have contracted a rare bacterial infection after consuming prepared formula.

Ten-day-old Avery Cornett died Sunday after he was fed Enfamil Newborn powder bought at a Walmart in the southern Missouri town of Lebanon.

Wal-Mart subsequently pulled a batch of the infant formula from more than 3,000 of its stores. The government has not requested a voluntary recall.

Wal-Mart pulls powdered infant formula after baby dies
Sudden infant death: 14 ways parents raise the risk

The Missouri Department of Health said in a statement released Monday that preliminary tests indicate another infant was infected with Cronobacter sakazakii bacteria within the past month, but recovered.

The department did not identify the brand of formula consumed by the baby who survived the infection.

The World Health Organization's powdered infant formula guidelines can be found here.