6 green apple (peeled cored and cut into wedges)
1 tsp butter
3 oz caramel
3 medium to large russet potatoes
2 ox flour
4 oz sour cream
salt to taste
pepper to taste
flour to taste
½ cup canola oil
2 tsp pink peppercorns (optional)
1. Place apples in a saute pan and cook over medium heat. Add butter and caramel and cook until tender (about 5 minutes). Season with salt and pepper and cool down.
2. Peel potatoes and place on a clean dry towel. Using a mandolin, julienne the potato on the thinnest setting. When done, wrap the towels around the potato and squeeze out any excess moisture. Divide potato into 8 equal mounds, about 4 inches in diameter, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Also add a dash of flour.
3. Place 1/4 of the cooked apple in the center of the mound, repeat 3 more times. Take the remainder of the potato and place on top of another - creating a sandwich. Season again with salt and pepper and sprinkle with flour.
4. On medium heat, place the canola oil in a saute pan, when the oil starts to smoke, place potato mound in the pan and cook until the side is golden - about 3 to 4 minutes. Turn over and continue on other side.
5. On a room temperature plate, make two teaspoon size quenelles of sour cream, cut pancake in half, place in the center, garnish crushed pink peppercorns. Repeat 4 times.
1 whole rack of lamb (approximately 3 lbs)
12 oz demi glace
2 medium parsnips
4 large sweet potatoes
½ lb wax beans
½ cup shallots
4 oz dill (snipped leaves)
2 red bell pepper
1. Have your butcher trim and french the lamb rack. Cover the lamb rack bones with foil then season well with salt and pepper. In a hot pan on high heat, sear the lamb until the outside is well browned. Then place in a 375-degree oven for approximately 20 minutes for medium rare.
2. Peel and dice the carrots, parsnips, sweet potatoes and red bell pepper.
3. Take half of the sweet potato and place in boiling water, cook until tender then puree or crush with a fork.
4. Finely chop the shallot and the dill.
5. In a pan, blanche and shock the wax beans.
6. In a pan, saute the carrot, parsnips, the remainder of the sweet potato until it starts to brown. Add the bell pepper and shallots, when soft stir in the sweet potato puree, sprinkle in the wax beans and season with salt pepper and dill.
7. Cut the rack into equal portioned chops, 2 to 3 each. On a plate, spoon vegetables in center, arrange chops on top of vegetables, spoon sauce over chops.
4 oz minced dried apricots
4 oz minced golden raisins
4 oz minced dried peaches
3 oz minced lemon peel
6 osliced toasted almonds
½ granny smith apples (peeled, cored and grated)
4 oz grand Marnier
4 oz flour
1 tsp ground mace
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cloves
½ cup fresh bread crumbs
4 oz softened butter
4 ox sugar
4 oz sour cream
2 oz lemon juice
2 tsp vanilla extract
1. In mixing bowl #1 add the first seven ingredients. Let sit for 1 hour.
2. In mixing bowl #2 add the next seven ingredients add mix well.
3. In mixing bowl #3 add the butter, whisk in the sugar until smooth.
4. In mixing bowl #3, slowly add the eggs, sour cream, lemon juice and vanilla. Then combine bowl #2 and bowl #1 into bowl #3.
5. Pour the mixture into four small molds and place molds in water bath and cover. Bake at 375 degrees for 1 ½ hours or until toothpick comes out clean.
6. Remove from the molds, while still warm and reserve.
1 tbs butter
½ pint raspberries
½ pint blueberries
½ pint strawberries (cleaned and hulled)
½ pint currants (stems removed)
2 vanilla beans (split)
4 ounces dark rum (or your favorite liquor)
1 orange (segmented)
4 pieces holiday pudding or you favorite fruit cake
1. In a hot saute pan over medium heat add the butter, then toss in the berries and add the vanilla bean and cook for 30 seconds.
2. Remove from the flambe add the rum (be careful the pan will flame) Return the pan back to the flame.
3. Add the orange segments ans stir for one minute.
4. Remove the pan from the heat and artfully spoon out the fruit and place the fruit around the holiday pudding. Serve immediately.
Rack of Lamb