$1M reward in Dorner manhunt will split 3 ways

Christopher Dorner, a former LAPD officer suspected of killing four people, died after a shootout and fire on Feb. 12, 2013 at a mountain cabin in Calif. following one of the biggest manhunts in recent memory. Dorner posted a "manifesto" explaining that his actions were part of a revenge-driven against the LAPD. He claimed he had been the victim of racism and unfair treatment while employed by the department. Prior to the standoff that led to Dorner's death on Feb. 12, 2013, he was already believed to have killed three people, one being a police officer. During the standoff he allegedly shot and killed another officer.

LOS ANGELES The vast majority of the $1 million reward for ending the manhunt for Christopher Dorner will go to a couple who was tied up at gunpoint in their Big Bear cabin by the rogue ex-cop, Los Angeles police said Tuesday.

The LAPD posted a document on its website in which a panel of three judges detailed the payouts for the much-sought reward.

They decided about $800,000 will go to James and Karen Reynolds. Fifteen percent will go to Daniel McGowan, who found Dorner's burning truck in the Big Bear area where he eventually was discovered, and 5 percent will go to tow-truck driver R.L. McDaniel, who spotted Dorner at a Corona gas station earlier in the manhunt and reported the sighting.

The $1 million reward was announced by Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa during Dorner's rampage in February.

Dorner had vowed warfare on Los Angeles Police Department officers and their families for what he called an unfair firing. He killed four people, including two law enforcement officers, during his nearly one-week run from authorities that ended with his death on Feb. 12.

Multiple parties came forward claiming they provided the key tip that ultimately led Dorner to hole up in a vacant mountain cabin where he apparently took his own life after a shootout with law enforcement officers.

Among those who laid claim to the reward was a camp ranger whose truck was taken by Dorner. He filed a lawsuit seeking the $1 million last week.

During their ordeal, the Reynolds were held up at gunpoint and tied up before Dorner stole their purple Nissan SUV to escape.

After escaping her constraints, Karen called authorities, identified Dorner, gave the location of the cabin and the Nissan's description. Less than half an hour later he was spotted by Fish and Wildlife wardens and a chase ensued.