2 medium fresh beets
1 small bunch of asparagus
6 ounces peppered goat cheese
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
Pastry bag with a small tip
1. Cook beets in salted boiling water until fork tender. Cool in the ice box and peel off skin.
2. Soften the goat cheese to room temperature and place in the pastry bag.
3. Slice the beets on the Chinese mandolin about 1/8 inch thick. Make at least three slice for each person. Place one slice in the middle of the plate and cover with goat cheese from the pastry bag. Top with another slice of goat cheese and then with another slice of beet. Repeat the process on three other salad plates.
4. Blanche and shock the asparagus in salted water. Allow to cool slightly and place decoratively around the beet and goat cheese towers on each of the plates.
5. Mix the olive oil and vinegar together and drizzle over the beet stack and asparagus.
16 ounce pork loin
2 green apples, peeled and cored
1/2 cup white wine
1 cup apple juice or water
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cinnamon stick
2 medium sweet potatoes
1 tablespoon honey
1 pounce bourbon
2 tablespoons oil for cooking
2 tablespoons salted butter
1. Cut pork into 4 equal portions (or have your butcher do it for you) and pound with meat cleaver until about 1/4 inch thick. Reserve.
2. For the compote, dice the apples into one inch cubes. Place the wine, apples, sugar, cinnamon stick and juice in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove the cinnamon stick, strain and set aside ? of the compote and liquid. Puree the other half of the compote in a blender. Mix the remaining un-blended compote in with the blended compote and keep warm.
3. Peel and thinly slice the potatoes long ways. Toss the slices with olive oil, salt and pepper and place on a cookie sheet. Drizzle honey and bourbon over the potatoes and place tray in 375 degree oven for about 15 to 20 minutes.
4. Season the pork with salt and pepper.
5. Lightly oil a saute pan and heat it until very hot and sear the pork slices on both sides for 1-2 minutes. Remove the pork from a pan and deglaze the pan with the compote liquid and a little butter.
6. Divide the warm compote among the center of four dinner plate. Place sweet potatoes slices around the plates and stack pork on top of compote. Sprinkle the sauce from the saute pan over the entire dish. Serve.
1 cup chocolate chips or 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 easpoon butter
12 Swedish fish
2 ripe bananas
1. Melt chocolate in double boiler. Bring heavy cream to a boil. Add the cream to the chocolate while whisking. Add in the butter. Place mixture in a fondue pot and keep warm.
2. Slice the fruit and skewer with wooden skewers and place around sauce.