11 professions with the biggest gender pay gaps

  • iStockphoto

    The gender pay gap is a well documented phenomenon, but just how it permeates the labor market can be both surprising and disheartening.

    Not all occupations share the same levels of unequal pay, for instance, a finding that has come out of a new study from the employment site Glassdoor. The company analyzed salaries reported by full-time workers in five countries, including more than 500,000 people in the U.S. and more than 22,000 in the U.K.

    Across the board, women in America are earning just 76 cents for every $1 earned by men, Glassdoor found. Nevertheless, that statistic may be slightly misleading, in that it doesn't compare men and women on an apples-to-apples basis, such as comparing women with similar levels of education and experience with men in the same situation.

    But even after adjusting for variables such as age and education, Glassdoor found that the gender pay gap, while smaller, remains a reality for women.

    "A very common misperception is that there is no gap once you compare apples and apples," said Glassdoor chief economist Andrew Chamberlain. "We are able to compare people on really detailed characteristics -- the same age, the same education, the same years of experience, working in same state and their titles and employers. And even when we control for that, you see a 5.4 percent gap between men and women."

    Chamberlain said he was surprised by the size of the remaining gap because he had predicted that it would be much smaller.

    About 67 percent of the unadjusted pay gap can be explained by factors such as which occupations women tend to choose, but the remaining 33 percent is what economists call "unexplained," which could be due to issues such as bias.

    The adjusted pay gap isn't static over a woman's lifespan. Glassdoor found that the smallest difference was evident when a woman is 18 to 24 years old, when she earns 2.2 percent less than her male counterparts. Women 55 to 65 years old face the biggest gap, at 10.5 percent, the study found.

    Even after adjusted for education, experience and other factors, some professions have much larger pay gaps than the national average, Glassdoor found.

    Interestingly, the professions with the highest adjusted pay gaps are those that require years of training and often offer high salaries. That backs up research from Cornell University economists, who found that the wage gap has been particularly stubborn for highly skilled women, suggesting a "glass ceiling" that's constraining their pay.

    Read on to learn where women suffer from the largest pay gaps.