LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — A Southland woman got an unpleasant surprise in an Alaskan cod filet she bought from a Rancho Cucamonga Ralph's: parasitic worms.
Angela Cordero posted a video to Facebook last week showing her fish filet literally crawling with parasites.
Her status was, understandably, "feeling disgusted."
Cordero's video evoked similar reactions among her friends.
She later called the store manager, who apologized and gave her a $25 gift card.
"I called and spoke with a manager who was very apologetic," she said on Facebook. "They have given me a $25 gift card for my expenses and trouble."
Finding a parasitic surprise in a piece of packaged fish is no doubt jarring, but does not always pose a health threat.
Cooking a piece of fish will effectively kill parasites, the FDA says. But eating uncooked or undercooked seafood that contains parasites can lead to a range of health problems including nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain.
for more features.