Most Southern California Fireworks Shows Quietly Canceled
LOS ANGELES (CBSLA) — Typically, at this time of the year, Southern Californians are making plans to visit one of the dozens of fireworks shows put on throughout the region. This year, however, has hardly been typical, and most of those shows have been quietly canceled.
The ongoing pandemic has prompted the cancellation of most summer events that draw big crowds, and fireworks shows are no exception. Those canceled in-person fireworks shows include:
- Americafest in Pasadena
- Grand Park + Music Center in Downtown LA
- Marina Del Rey's 4th Of July Fireworks Show
- Hollywood Bowl's 3-night Fireworks Spectacular with the Beach Boys
- KABOOM! 2020 at the Fairplex in Pomona
- The Crescenta Valley High School Fireworks show in La Crescenta
- July 4 at Mt. Rubidoux and La Sierra Park in Riverside
- Duarte's Independence Day Celebration and Fireworks Spectacular
- Newport Beach's annual fireworks display
Most fireworks shows are highly publicized in the weeks leading up to the Fourth of July, but this year, events were simply labeled "cancelled" in online event listings or removed without explanation.
In some cases, such as the Grand Park + Music Center, the city of Fontana's fireworks show and the Rose Bowl's annual event, the festivities are being moved online. Newport Dunes has confirmed they will also host a virtual fireworks show, but only for their resort's guests. The city of Riverside is considering a similar move.
Irwindale Speedway and the Joint Forces Training Base in Los Alamitos, however, are moving forward with a drive-in-style event, while the cities of Buena Park, Orange and La Habra have teamed up to put on an afternoon vintage plane flyover.
Local law enforcement agencies, such as Carson, Oxnard and Pomona, have increased patrols and are on heightened alert for the discharge and sales of illegal fireworks. Fireworks of any kind are illegal throughout much of the region because of the high wildfire danger. But some cities allow for the sale and use of "safe and sane" fireworks.
for more features.