Watch CBS News

Huntington Park Police Shoot, Kill Knife-Wielding Suspect

HUNTINGTON PARK (CBSLA) – A man in his 30s was shot and killed by Huntington Park police officers just after midnight Tuesday after allegedly threatening them with a knife.

Huntington Park Police Shoot, Kill Suspect
At the scene of where a man was shot and killed by police in Huntington Park, Calif. Jan. 18, 2022. (CBSLA)

The shooting occurred at 12:03 a.m. Tuesday in the 6400 block of Santa Fe Avenue, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.

The suspect died at the scene. His name was not immediately released. No officers were hurt.

According to the sheriff's department, the incident began when L.A. County Fire Department crews responded to a call of a fire in the 6500 block of Marbrisa Avenue just after 11:45 p.m. Monday. However, when they arrived on scene, they found no flames, but instead a man threatening them.

"They were confronted by a male who told them that he had a weapon on him, supposedly a handgun, and he started to threaten the fire department," sheriff's Lt. Chris Kusanyanagi said.

At that point, Huntington Park police officers were called. They arrived to find the man brandishing a knife, the sheriff's department said. They initially fired rubber bullets at him, but those had no effect.

A witness who did not want to go on camera told CBSLA that she was eating nearby when she heard officers yelling at the suspect.

"The police were announcing, 'Drop the knife,'" she said. "And we were eating in the restaurant."

The woman said her sister yelled at the man, encouraging him to surrender. However, she said he seemed angry with his own family.

"When he was running, my other sister said, 'Drop the knife,' (and he responded) 'No, I want to go and get them,'" the witness said.

The officers attempted to use rubber bullets a second time. The suspect then ran north to Santa Fe Avenue, with officers giving chase. Officers attempted to use less-lethal rounds a third time with no success. The man then advanced on the officers, prompting them to open fire, the sheriff's department alleges.

A knife was recovered at the scene. It's unclear if the man was under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or whether he was dealing with mental health issues. Kusanyanagi said the situation escalated too quickly to call in mental health experts.

"There was no time for them to call," Kusanyanagi said.

Several surrounding blocks remained closed late Tuesday morning while authorities investigated. The sheriff's department is assisting in the case.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.