STUDIO CITY (CBSLA.com) — November is National Bread Month!
Challah King of Beverly Hills, Chris Brugler, visited the KCAL9 studios Wednesday to show viewers a few recipes using traditional challah in modern dishes!
Health benefits of bread
- In addition to fiber, bread is rich in calcium, protein, B vitamins, and selenium. These are all essential if you want to have a leaner and healthier body.
- The American Dietetic association recommends 25 - 35 grams of fiber a day.
- The complex carbohydrates in bread and other grain-based foods provide essential fuel the body needs.
- A slice of bread before bedtime can promote sleep and prevent insomnia. It can also lower the risk of heart attack because of the high amount of fiber present in bread.
CHOCOLATE CHALLAH BREAD PUDDING WITH VANILLA ICE CREAM AND A RASPBERRY SAUCE
(Makes 8 servings)
2 loaves of milk chocolate Challah King of Beverly Hills Challah
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs, beaten
2 cups half & half
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 quart vanilla ice cream
Mint - garnish
Preheat oven to 350°F.
• Cut the challah into small dice and place in a butter 3-quart casserole dish.
• Combine sugar, eggs, half & half, vanilla extract, and cinnamon. Mix well.
• Pour the custard mixture over the bread in the baking dish make sure it's coated. Let the pudding sit for 25 minutes, so the bread can fully absorb the custard
• Bake 40 minutes or until puffy and set.
• Remove, and let stand 30 minutes before serving.
• Cut the pudding into 3 inch by 3 inch squares. Then cut in half to create a diamond shape.
• Serve with ice cream, raspberry sauce and mint
3 cups fresh raspberries
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
2.5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
• In a blender puree the lemon, sugar and berries.
• Strain the sauce and gently press the puree through the strainer.
Have you ever had a French toast so hedonistically delicious that you wouldn't even share a bite with your most beloved? If not, now's your chance! This self-indulgent recipe will bring you to your knees and leave even the most generous person hording his prize!
CHALLAH KING FRENCH TOAST
(Makes 8 servings)
1 loaf of chocolate Challah King of Beverly Hills Challah
Cut into 8 -10 (1/2-inch-thick)
3 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cap vanilla extract
3 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Raspberries – garnish
Blackberries - garnish
Mint – garnish
• Whisk together eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla until blended.
• Pour into a large baking pan and soak bread slices in 1 layer, turning once, 8 minutes.
• Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons butter in a 12-inch heavy skillet or griddle over moderately high heat until foam subsides.
• Transfer 4 soaked bread slices to skillet with a slotted spatula and cook until golden brown, about 1 minute on each side.
• Cook remaining bread in 2 batches, adding more butter as needed.
• Serve French toast with maple syrup
• Garnish French toast with confectioners' sugar, mint and berries
for more features.