Watch CBS News

Man Charged With Raping Woman In Ukrainian Village

Updated 07/12/13 - 12:30 p.m.

CHICAGO (CBS) -- A 28-year-old man has been charged with grabbing a woman at a bus stop in the Ukrainian Village, and raping her in a nearby alley.

Michael Campbell, of the 1500 block of North Campbell Avenue, has been charged with felony counts of aggravated criminal sexual assault, kidnapping, and aggravated robbery.

Bond was set Friday at $750,000.

Prosecutors said Campbell was sitting at the bus shelter when the victim arrived to catch the bus.

Campbell tried to talk with her and then attacked her, slamming her head into the shelter, punching her and dragging here into nearby gangway, prosecutors said.

He told her he had a gun and he would shoot her if she continued to yell for help, prosecutors said. He raped her in the alley and slammed her head into the brick wall. He then grabbed her purse and fled.

The victim identified Campbell from surveillance photos.

Police found Campbell under the bed in his parents' apartment. Prosecutors said he admitted robbing her, but not raping her.

He was arrested on drug felony charges in 2009 and also was charged with aggravated assault with deadly weapon in 2010, prosecutors said.

He was arrested Thursday, three days after allegedly raping the 20-year-old woman in the 1000 block of North Western Avenue.

Man Charged In Ukrainian Village Rape

At about 5 a.m. Monday, a woman waiting at the bus stop in the 1000 block of North Western Avenue was dragged into an alley, where her attacker beat and raped her.

Police released surveillance photos of the suspect on Wednesday, which led to people providing tips to members of the Guardian Angels and police detectives.

Ukrainian Village Rape Suspect
Surveillance images of the suspect in a beating and rape in the Ukrainian Village neighborhood. (Credit: Chicago Police)

Thursday morning, while members of the Guardian Angels were handing out copies of the surveillance photos, a woman provided a name of a possible suspect, and told them where he hangs out, according to Guardian Angels leader Miguel Fuentes.

The Guardian Angels gave that information to detectives, and throughout the day, more tips came in with the same information.

"Some people just came up to us, others flagged us down, stopped traffic, and said this is the individual you're looking for," Fuentes said. "It's just a good combination of everyone working together."

Campbell was arrested later that day. Police said the victim picked Campbell out from a photo array.

Emily Asher, who lives near the scene of the attack, said the arrest brings a sense of relief.

"It feels really good. It's been kind of scary around here," Asher said. "Our building has a lot of girls in it in their 20s, and we've just all been kind of on edge, for sure. So it's a relief, but at the same time … I don't think we'll really go back to normal."

Fuentes said he's happy the Guardian Angels were able to help police make an arrest.

"We feel great, because it's a combination. First you had the good surveillance photo from the BP gas station. You had the communication between the Guardian Angels and the detectives on the street. And you had the community actually getting involved, and saying, 'You know what? I know this guy,'" he said.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.