XRT and the Shedd Aquarium are hosting a free concert by Guster to celebrate the Great Lakes! The concert will be held at The Dock at Montrose Beach on Thursday, 9/22 at 5:30. This FREE concert is sponsored by Arcelor Mittal and Coca Cola.
Where: The Dock at Montrose Beach
200 W Montrose Harbor Dr
Chicago, IL 60640
When: September 22, 2011
Shedd Aquarium – Keeping the Lakes Great
For the 42 million people who live along the Great Lakes, water is life. Join Shedd Aquarium and 93XRT in efforts to keep the lakes great.
The lakes are the Earth's largest freshwater ecosystem, boasting more than 10,000 miles of coastline—and 20 percent of the world's freshwater resources. Its waters and surrounding wetlands, sand dunes, rivers and streams host a wide array of species, including 200 globally rare plants and animals.
But the lakes face enormous—and growing—conservation challenges. Crucial local habitats are being degraded and lost. Invasive species endanger native species and the system's overall health. Poor water-use practices and threats to water quality are putting the Great Lakes at risk.
Do Your Part
It's not too late to do your part to keep the lakes great now, and for future generations. If we each do a little, we can all do a lot. Here are some tips from Shedd Aquarium:
• Install water-saving fixtures and appliances in your home, including washing machines, toilets, faucets and showerheads. Choose WaterSense-labeled products.
• When cleaning leaves or other debris from your lawn, driveway, or sidewalk, use a broom or rake instead of water from a hose.
• During rainstorms, avoid doing laundry or washing dishes. When combined with rainwater, large amounts of household wastewater can overflow sewage systems and pollute the Great Lakes basin.
• Never flush prescriptions and over-the-counter medications or dump them down the drain. Contact your local waste-management authority to find out about prescription take-back programs.
• Participate in local habitat restoration workdays and beach cleanups.
for more features.