Watch CBS News

3 people found unresponsive inside Chicago apartment identified; death investigation underway

3 identified after being found unresponsive, later died in Edgewater apartment
3 identified after being found unresponsive, later died in Edgewater apartment 00:30

CHICAGO (CBS)-- A death investigation is underway after three people were found dead inside an apartment in Edgewater. 

According to Chicago police, three adults were found unresponsive in the 5800 block of North Broadway Avenue. All were later identified by the Cook County Medical Examiner's Office. 

Police said a 53-year-old man, identified as David Edwards, as was pronounced dead on the scene. Two women, identified as 70-year-old Linda Daly and 38-year-old Royce Daugherty, were taken to Weiss Hospital in critical condition, and they later died. 

It's unclear how the people died or if any of them had a relationship with each other.

Police and fire personnel found the three people around 6:30 a.m. on Friday. The Chicago Fire Department said it initially responded to a hazardous materials situation, but carbon monoxide levels were normal when authorities arrived.  

As CBS 2's Charlie De Mar reported, they were found at a Chicago Housing Authority building for seniors.

3 dead after being found unresponsive in Chicago senior apartment 02:31

Residents at the building said the 70-year-old woman was a kind and good friend to all, but they haven't been told anything about the circumstances surrounding the deaths.

"Oh my god, how do three people die all at once?" said Roberta Nunziato.

Nunziato, a longtime resident of Judge Fisher Apartments in Edgewater, said she knew the 70-year-old victim.

She added the residents were not told any information about the deaths.

Linda Robles, another apartment resident and building ambassador, said the investigation appears to be centered on the 12th floor.

"I tried going to the 12th floor, but police have to do their part," she said. "I went up there to check on some other person, but the police was up there."

As of Friday afternoon, Chicago police were still calling the case a death investigation. Autopsies were expected to be performed in the coming days to determine the causes of death.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.