Hundreds honor Ohio school shooting victim

The hearse carrying 16-year-old Daniel Parmertor leaves St. Mary's Church following funeral services in Chardon, Ohio on Saturday, March 3, 2012. Parmertor and two other students were fatally shot Monday at Chardon High School. AP Photo/Amy Sancetta

(AP) CHARDON, Ohio - Hundreds of people stood shoulder to shoulder along the street on a cold, windy Saturday morning to honor one of three teenagers killed in a high school shooting.

The service in Chardon for 16-year-old Daniel Parmertor is the first of the three funerals. Services for 16-year-old Demetrius Hewlin and 17-year-old Russell King Jr. will be held next week.

Parmertor's family said they planned to bury him with his first paycheck — still unopened — from his new job at a bowling alley, The Plain Dealer reports.

Those honoring the teen wore the school's colors of red and black and huddled in hoods, knit hats and blankets. They held U.S. flags and signs featuring red hearts and saying "We are One Heartbeat." Some expressed continued disbelief about the Monday attack.

Parmertor was remembered as a computer whiz and for his laugh and wit, WJW-TV reported.

Two other students were seriously wounded when a gunman opened fire in the cafeteria at Chardon High School, about 30 miles east of Cleveland. One remains in serious condition; a second has been released from the hospital.

Classes resume at Ohio H.S. after shooting
Classmates speak out on school shooting suspect
Teen charged in deadly Ohio shooting

The Mass was held at the Church of St. Mary across the street from the school complex where the attack occurred. It's the same church where thousands showed up for a vigil earlier this week.

On Friday, hundreds had waited hours in cold rain to pay respects to the teen at a funeral home in nearby Eastlake. He was to be buried at a Chardon cemetery.

Charges filed in juvenile court accuse 17-year-old T.J. Lane of aggravated murder, attempted aggravated murder and felonious assault. Lane's next hearing is Tuesday.

Prosecutor David Joyce said the motive for the shooting remains unclear. He said the victims were selected randomly, and he called the suspect someone "who's not well."

Classes resumed at the 1,100-student school on Friday with police on hand.

Comments