Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 families seeking to create $5 million reward for search

The search for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 is about to shift again for the third time since it disappeared.

The plane with 239 people aboard vanished over the Indian Ocean on March 8th, 94 days ago.

The Wall Street Journal reported Monday changes in calculations could drastically move the search area.

"Some experts who aren't directly involved in the search said the shift would likely amount to hundreds of miles and create substantial logistics headaches, especially if searchers move farther away from the Australian coast," the Journal reported.

The families of missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 have been getting no new information lately, so they are taking matters into their own hands.

At a press conference over the weekend, the Malaysian government said they are going to Australia to find out the latest information and promised the families of those missing they remain committed to the search effort. That is just not enough for the loved ones of the 239 people who were on board, reports CBS News correspondent Jeff Pegues.

For now the search is at a standstill.

Initial leads in the investigation failed to produce any trace of the missing jet.

For seven weeks, the search centered on pings under the surface of the water that investigators believed came from the black boxes.

"We are past frustration," said Sarah Bajc, whose partner Philip Wood was on board the plane. "We are into absolute anger at this point in how this has been treated and we have to do something."

Now she, and five other families are expressing their frustration with silence.

They didn't speak in a video posted online. Instead they let the signs they are holding tell their message.

The video is part of an online crowdfunding effort to raise $5 million.

The families want to offer a reward for credible information that could lead to the discovery of Flight 370.

The rest of the funders would be used to follow up on leads.

(sot - pralhad shirsath) "What is the truth? -- So that is what we are fighting for now," said Pralhad Shirsath, whose wife Kanti Shirsath was on board Flight 370.

He says their campaign shows the Malaysian government's failure.

"Government failed for the last three months to find any wreckage," Shirsath said. "They failed to give us honest and accurate information therefore unfortunately we had to start this kind of activity."

Bajc is hoping the someone will come forward with answers.

"Sometimes it's the everyday person coming forward with common sense that survives and is successful where the authorities have failed," Bajc said.

Investigators are working on refining the data they have been using to chart the plane's path.

Just last week they announced a plan to scan some 21,000 square miles of the southern Indian ocean in August, with sonar that can reach deeper below the surface of the water.

Comments

Follow Us

The Newsroom