Facebook photo of suspect Jamel Turner, provided by the Detroit Free Press.
DETROIT (CBS/AP) An 18-year-old Detroit man surrendered to police on Wednesday, a day after a shooting at a bus stop wounded seven teenagers, authorities said.
Detroit Police Chief James Barren told reporters that Jamel Turner was identified as a suspect after investigators spoke with victims of Tuesday's shooting. An arrest warrant had not been issued by Wednesday afternoon.
Investigators believe that two gunmen fired multiple shots with semiautomatic handguns at the bus stop Tuesday afternoon, shortly after summer classes let out at nearby Cody Ninth Grade Academy. Police said a third suspect waited in a nearby green minivan to drive them away.
Five of the seven victims were students. At least three of the seven remained hospitalized Wednesday but none has life-threatening injuries, said Deputy Police Chief James Tolbert.
Police do not yet have a motive in the shooting.
"We still have at least two other individuals who had some connection with this crime," Tolbert said.
Police believe the gunmen were targeting at least one person among the group's four males and three females, who range in age from 14 to 17, before firing several shots, police spokesman Rod Liggons told The Associated Press. He said "we know something was said" just before shots were fired.
More At The Detroit Free Press
PREVIOUSLY ON CRIMESIDER
July 1, 2009 - Update: Detroit School Official Says Police ID Suspects
July 1, 2009 - Gunmen Shoot 7 Teens Outside Detroit School