(CBS) NEW YORK - A jury is set to start deliberating in the trial of Renato Seabra, the 22-year-old who allegedly killed and castrated his lover, 65-year-old Carlos Castro in a Manhattan hotel in January 2011.
Seabra pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity to a charge of second
degree murder, and his trial reached closing arguments at Manhattan
criminal court Wednesday, Reuters reports.
One of Seabra's lawyers re-enacted the attack in the courtroom, using the smashed computer monitor and wine bottle Seabra used to beat Castro, and then pointed the corkscrew used to sever the man's testicles at the jury, according to Reuters.
"You do not need an expert to tell you this is psychotic behavior," David Touger reportedly told the jury.
Touger told the jury that Seabra, who he said had been diagnosed by more than 20 doctors as bipolar, should not be held responsible for Castro's death because he did not know what he was doing was wrong. Reuters reports that Touger said his client thought he was killing a "'demon' of homosexuality" in Castro.
Maxine Rosenthal, the lead prosecutor on the case, painted a different picture for jurors, saying that Seabra was "playing the role of the loving boyfriend" to take advanage of Castro's wealth, Reuters reports. Castro was a Portuguese celebrity television journalist.
According to Reuters, Seabra has not been in court for over a week, but his attorneys have not said why.