(CBS News) Chef Marco Moreira is a native of Sao Paulo, Brazil and currently is the executive chef and owner of One-Five Hospitality. His group includes the restaurants "Toqueville," "15 East," and the newly-opened "The Fourth."
Moreira has become known for his relationship with the Union Square Greenmarket. All of his restaurants are near the outdoor market and utilize their fresh fruits and vegetables. He is touted as one of the first chefs in New York City to utilize the market for his restaurants.
Moreira was first trained as a sushi chef before moving into his current genre of food. Many of the One-Five Hospitality restaurants are known for their American-French cuisine with a South American flare. He and wife, Jo-Ann Makovitzky, ran Marco Polo Caterers, before opening the Marco Polo Cafe, their first restaurant.
Moreira and Makovitzky keep their trade in their family -- the couple's 12-years-old daughter, Francesca, is already in the kitchen with her parents and recently appeared in a New York Times article cooking with Moreira.
Father's Day is coming up Sunday and Moreira shares his ultimate dish for Dads: double cut prime aged sirloin steak.
Prime Aged Double Cut Grilled Sirloin
3 Prime Aged Double Cut Grilled Sirloin Steaks (15-20 ounces each)
2 cloves garlic, pureed
2 tablespoon Olive Oil
2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
2 tablespoon fresh chopped Thyme
2 tablespoon cracked black peppercorn
1. Combine garlic, olive oil, soy sauce, thyme and peppercorn in small mixing bowl.
2. Place steaks in resealable plastic bag or non-reactive container and add marinade. Seal or cover, marinate at least 2 hours.
3. Steaks can be grilled over charcoal or gas grill, or in a grill pan over medium to high heat. Cook to preferred doneness.
Mediterranean Tuna Salad
1 1/4 cup citron puree
3/4 cup Grapefruit Juice
10 teaspoons Orange Juice (.42 cups)
4 teaspoons Rice Vinegar
1/2 tablespoon salt
5 teaspoons Grape Seed Oil
4 teaspoons Tuna Confit oil
8 large leaves Bibb Lettuce
24 cooked baby potatoes, cooled
1/3 cup radish, shaved
1/3 cup diced roasted beets (red or yellow)
1/3 cup blanched green beans (shocked in ice water bath)
4 red beet pickled eggs (Hard boiled 8 minutes, cooled, pickled 3 hours in pickling liquid (beet juice, vinegar, sugar)
20 pickled ramps
24 Blistered Cherry Tomatoes (Sauté tomatoes over high heat in medium sauté pan in 1-2 tablespoons olive oil until skin blisters. Remove from heat, cool)
16 Black Olives
1/2 cup Fines Herbs
1 1/2 cups poached tuna
1. Compose Bibb Lettuce, baby potatoes, radish, beets, green beans, eggs, ramps, tomatoes. olives and fines herbs on serving platter.
2. Combine ingredients for Citron Vin in small saucepan, warm over low heat.
3. Top salad with poached tuna.
4. Dress with Citron Vin.
5. Season with salt and pepper to taste
4 cups fresh chickpeas, blanched
3 bunches fresh Watercress, picked over, without stems
1 cup red onion, thinly sliced, rinsed in cold water and dried
1/2 cup Chianti or red wine vinegar
1 1/2 cups Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In small bowl mix together red wine vinegar and olive oil
2. Combine chickpeas, watercress and red onion
3. Toss salad with vinaigrette just before serving
4. Season with salt and pepper to taste
Farofa de Bebe
1/2 cup butter
4 cloves of garlic, minced
4 cups yuca flour (or bread crumbs)
1/2 cup dried currants or any other dried fruit such as raisins or cranberries (soaked in water for 30 minutes to rehydrate up fruit)
2 hard boiled Araucana chicken eggs, whites and yolks separated, both chopped
1 cup chopped black olives
» cup chopped parsley
1/2 cup chopped ramp greens or green onion
1. Brown butter in a medium size sauté pan on medium heat just until it turns light brown.
2. Add garlic, toast until light brown.
3. Mix in the yucca flour 1 cup at a time and cook until lightly toasted. Constantly stir flour until toasted or it will burn.
4. Once well toasted, add currants, eggs, olives, parsley and ramps over low to medium heat.
5. Mix well, remove from heat.
Greenmarket Strawberries with Whipped Cream
2 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced.
6 Tablespoons Honey
8 tablespoons White Balsamic Vinegar
4 cups whipped cream sweetened with a touch of sugar
1. Plate strawberries in serving bowl.
2. Mix together honey and white balsamic vinegar in small bowl.
3. Drizzle over strawberries.
4. Top with whipped cream immediately before serving.
1 ounce Aperol
1 ounce Gin
1/4 ounce lemon juice
1/4 ounce Prosecco
1. Pour Aperol, Gin and Lemon Juice into cocktail mixing glass. Stir.
2. Pour mixture into a rocks glass over ice.
3. Pour prosecco to fill top of glass.
4. Rim glass with lemon peel. Garnish drink with lemon peel as a twist.