Last Updated 5:00 p.m. ET
More tuna products are being added to two March 6th voluntary recalls prompted by loose seals, or seams, on cans.
Bumble Bee Foods and Tri-Union Seafoods LLC have announced expanded recalls of certain lots of their tuna cans.
Bumble Bee had announced Wednesday the recall of 5-ounce cans of its Chunk White Albacore and Chunk Light Tuna products because the loose seals could result in product contamination by spoilage organisms or pathogens and lead to illness if eaten, the company said on the Food and Drug Administration's website.
Bumble Bee corrected the issue on its manufacturing line, the company said March 7th, but announced it was expanding the recall to include more best-by dates and lot codes.
The affected products are:
- Brunswick Brand 5oz Chunk Light Tuna in Water -- 48 Count Case (Case UPC 6661332803)
- Bumble Bee Brand 5oz Chunk Light Tuna in Water -- 48 Count Case (Case UPC 8660000020)
- Bumble Bee Brand 5oz Chunk Light Tuna in Water -- 24 Count Case (Case UPC 8660000990)
- Bumble Bee Brand 5oz Chunk Light Tuna in Vegetable Oil -- 48 Count Case (Case UPC 8660000021)
- Bumble Bee Brand 5oz Chunk White Albacore in Water -- 24 Count Case (Case UPC 8660000025)
- Bumble Bee Brand 5oz Chunk Light Tuna in Water -- 6 Count Case of 4-Pack Cluster (Case UPC 8660000736)
- Bumble Bee Brand 5oz Chunk White Albacore in Water -- 6 Count Case of 8-Pack Cluster (Case UPC 8660000775)
- Bumble Bee Brand 5oz Chunk White Albacore in Water -- 6 Count Case of 8-Pack Cluster (Case UPCS 8660000776)
The affected products were distributed for retail sale around the U.S. between Jan. 17, 2013 and March 6, 2013. They have best by codes from Jan. 14, 2016 through Jan. 18, 2016.
A full list of lot codes, best-by codes can be found on the FDA's website.
The original March 6th recall had affected products distributed nationwide January 17, 2013 through February 28, 2013.
Consumers who have purchased the recalled products should throw them in the garbage. Questions on the recall or reimbursement can be fielded at a 24-hour recall line at 888-820-1947.
There have been no reports to date of any illness associated with these products.
Also on March 6th, Tri-Union Seafoods LLC announced a recall of lots of its Chicken of the Sea brand 5-ounce cans of chunk white albacore in water because of problems with the can seals.
The recall affected certain cans with a UPC code -- or bar code -- 0 48000 03355 0 located on the product's label. The best by date, of 01/18/17, is printed on the bottom of the can.
On Friday March 8th, Tri-Union expanded the recall to include Chicken of the Sea brand 5-ounce chunk light tuna in oil sold around the U.S. between January 23, 2013 and March 6, 2013 with a UPC code of 0 48000 00195 5 and best by date of 01/15/17. A complete list of all affected lot codes can be found on the FDA website.
USA Today reported the recalls include more than 3 million 5-ounce cans, and are traced back to Bumble Bee's California plant.