ROZSYPNE, Ukraine -- An international team of investigators in eastern Ukraine on Thursday reached the crash site of the Malaysia Airline Flight 17 for the first time.
In a message on Twitter, the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE), which has had a team at the crash site for days, said a new team of monitors had managed to find a different route there and arrive with four Australian and Dutch investigators.
OSCE SMM monitors reach #MH17 crash site for 1st time in almost week, accompanied by 4 Dutch, Australian experts. Used new route to access— СММ ОБСЄ в Україні (@OSCE_SMM) July 31, 2014
Police and forensic experts from the Netherlands and Australia were expected to initially focus their efforts on retrieving bodies still on the site and collect victims' belongings.
An AP journalist at the scene Thursday said it appeared to still be under the control of separatist rebel fighters.
It remains unclear exactly how many bodies remain and what condition they are in after being exposed for so long to the elements.
A delegation from Russia's state aviation body said Thursday it also hoped to visit the site, an agency spokesman said Thursday.
Sergei Izvolsky told the AP that a delegation of Russian specialists from Rosaviatsiya was due in Kiev Thursday to participate in the investigation.
Representatives of the Dutch and Ukrainian commissions would not comment on the arrival of Russian officials. Continuing fighting has hindered access to the crash site, located in rebel-controlled territory in east Ukraine.
Ukraine's parliament, meanwhile, voted not to accept the resignation of Prime Minister Arseniy Yatsenyuk.
Yatsenyuk had said last week he was resigning after two parties left the coalition supporting him and parliament balked at passing laws he said were essential to fund the country's war against pro-Russian separatists.