crimesider

Julio Acevedo, suspect in Brooklyn hit-and-run, tells newspaper he was fleeing gunshots

This undated photo, provided by the New York City Police Department on Monday March 4, 2013, shows Julio Acevedo, 44, who police are looking for in connection with the death of an expectant couple that was killed in a car accident in Brooklyn early Sunday morning and their premature baby, who was delivered alive but did not survive. Police are searching for the driver of a BMW and a passenger who fled on foot after slamming into the livery cab transporting Nachman Glauber and his pregnant wife Raizy, both 21 years old. (AP Photo/NYPD)

Julio Acevedo
AP/NYPD
(CBS) NEW YORK - Julio Acevedo, the suspect in the hit-and-run that killed a couple and their unborn son, reportedly told the New York Daily News on Tuesday that he was fleeing gunshots when the accident occurred, the paper reports.

"My heart goes out to them," the 44-year-old Acevedo reportedly said in a phone interview. "I didn't know they died until I saw the news."

Acevedo reportedly explained to the paper that he left the scene of the accident because he was scared of someone shooting at him.

Police said Acevedo was speeding down a street in Brooklyn early Sunday when he collided with a livery cab carrying Nachman and Raizy Glauber, both 21, to the hospital. They died Sunday, and their premature son died Monday.

Acevedo was arrested last month on a charge of driving while under the influence, and the case is pending. He served about a decade in prison in the 1990s for manslaughter.

The New York Daily News reports that the interview with Acevedo was arranged by Derrick Hamilton, a former jail mate of Acevedo's.

The paper reports Acevedo plans on surrendering to authorities after consulting with a lawyer.

Complete coverage of the Brooklyn hit-and-run on Crimesider

  • Stephanie Slifer

Comments

Follow Us