Hole-in-the-floor Ashtray Apparently Leads To Fire

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - An official in Portland, Ore., says a house fire that caused $30,000 in damage was apparently started by tenants who were using a hole in the floor as an ashtray.

Portland Fire & Rescue spokesman Paul Corah says, in his words, "That's not careless smoking, that's stupid smoking."

He says the caller who reported the fire Wednesday also hung up on the 911 dispatcher, then refused to talk when the dispatcher tried to call back for more details.

No one was injured.
  • CBSNews

Comments

Watch CBSN Live

Watch CBS News anytime, anywhere with the new 24/7 digital news network. Stream CBSN live or on demand for FREE on your TV, computer, tablet, or smartphone.