Elton John has canceled a show in London's Hyde Park after being diagnosed with appendicitis that will require surgery.
A statement issued Tuesday by the musician's publicist said John was suffering from an inflamed appendix and surrounding abscess.
He has been advised by doctors to cancel his concerts while he undergoes a regime of antibiotics to treat the abscess. That will be followed by surgery in the next few weeks.
The statement said John fell ill during his recent European tour, but "is eager to be back on top form and return to play the remaining shows starting in early September 2013."
The 66-year-old performer had been due to perform at the Collisioni festival in Italy on Tuesday, with more shows in Germany on Thursday and a headline gig at London's Hyde Park on Friday on a bill with Elvis Costello and Ray Davies.
"Elton is incredibly disappointed to postpone these tour dates," a spokesman said on John's website.
"To know that he made such super-human efforts and continued to perform to thousands through his illness only confirms his dedication to his European fans. He is eager to be back on top form and return to play the remaining shows starting in early September 2013."
Additional July dates now canceled include festivals in Spain, France and Monaco.
He is due back in the U.K. in September, performing at the First Direct Arena in Leeds and at Bestival before heading back to Las Vegas for a month-long residency at The Colosseum.