Disney working on stand-alone "Star Wars" films

** FILE ** In this undated publicity photo released by Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM, director George Lucas directs actor Anthony Daniels, who plays the robot C-3PO, in "Star Wars II: Attack of the Clones," on location in the Tunisian desert. Lucasfilm said in a statement Monday, Jan. 28, 2013, that it's postponing the scheduled fall 3-D releases of LISA TOMASETTI

Disney is mining The Force for even more new films.

Walt Disney Co. CEO Bob Iger said that screenwriters Larry Kasdan and Simon Kinberg are working on stand-alone "Star Wars" movies that aren't part of the new trilogy that's in the works.

"There has been speculation about some standalone films that have been in development, and I can confirm to you today that in fact we are working on a few stand-alone films," Iger told CNBC.

Iger said the movies would be based on "great 'Star Wars' characters that are not part of the overall saga." The films would be released during the six-year period of the new trilogy, which starts in 2015 with "Star Wars: Episode VII."

"The implications for Star Wars fans will be great," Iger said. "We have these great opportunities because there are these good ideas out there and good creators interested in fleshing out these ideas, and we're going for it."

Disney confirmed last month that "Star Trek" director J.J. Abrams will direct the seventh installment of the "Star Wars" saga.

Disney bought "Star Wars" maker Lucasfilm last year for more than $4 billion.

The last "Star Wars" trilogy, a prequel to the original films, was released from 1999 to 2005.

  • CBS News Staff

Comments