Last Updated Jul 23, 2009 3:09 PM EDT
In a pretty funny (and not one hundred percent polite) 25-minute talk, Merlin Mann, founder of productivity site 43 Folders, offers tips on how to get over your neuroses and fears (admit it, we all have them) and actually produce results. Earnest and enlightening, the talk offers insights such as:
- Get started, even if you feel uninspired. We tend to believe that thinking leads to working, but more often, working leads to thoughts.
- Learn to tolerate the sensation of not knowing where something is going or what exactly it is becoming.
- Don't judge. Eventually you will need to finish stuff and have a critical eye. Just not right at the beginning.
- Power through self-doubt by simply continuing to work, even if what you produce sucks. You can always fix it later.
- Set aside a small amount of time for the work on a regular basis: no email, no interruptions, no excuses.
(Image of the dread blank page by mulmatsherm, CC 2.0)