Here's a look at the week ahead on our "Sunday Morning" Calendar:
Monday marks the 80th anniversary of the arrival of the first inmates at Alcatraz prison in San Francisco Bay. Alcatraz closed in 1963 after just 29 years of use.
- Alcatraz Island (National Park Service)
Tuesday sees the start of the 34th National Veterans Wheelchair Games. More than 500 veterans are expected to participate in a series of competitions, sponsored this year by the Philadelphia VA Medical Center.
- National Veterans Wheelchair Games (Aug. 12-17)
- Follow the National Veterans Wheelchair Games on Facebook
- Paralyzed Veterans of America
- Follow Paralyzed Veterans of America on Twitter (@PVA1946), Facebook, Flickr and YouTube
Wednesday is International Left-Handers' Day . . . a day for raising awareness among the right-handed majority of the needs and talents of those who were born left-handed.
- Join the Left-Handers Club
- Follow the Left-Handers Club on Twitter (@LeftHandersClub), Facebook and YouTube
- Left-Handed Test: How left-handed are you?
On Thursday, Paul McCartney headlines the final concert at San Francisco's Candlestick Park before its demolition. The Beatles performed their last commercial concert at Candlestick 48 years ago this month.
- Paul McCartney at Candlestick Park, Aug. 14
- Follow Paul McCartney on Twitter (@PaulMcCartney), Facebook and YouTube
On Friday, the Hudson Union Society in New York sponsors a gala in honor of Malala Yousafzai, the Afghan teenager who has become a champion of educational rights for girls.
- The Malala Fund
- Follow the MalalaFund on Twitter (@MalalaFund) and Facebook
- "I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban" by Malala Yousafzai (Little, Brown); Also available in Trade Paperback and eBook formats
- Read an excerpt from "I Am Malala"
- Hudson Union Society
And Saturday's forecast calls for the start of the World Weather Open Science Conference in Montreal.