CONWAY, N.H. - A 34-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the disappearance of a 15-year-old New Hampshire girl who was reunited with her family July 20, nine months after she vanished, reports CBS Boston.
Nathaniel Kibby was arrested and charged with one count of felony kidnapping for knowingly confining Abigail Hernandez on October 9, 2013, in Conway, N.H., with a purpose to commit an offense against her, according to the station.
Kibby was reportedly arrested at his Gorham, N.H. home Monday afternoon without incident. Gorham is approximately 30 miles north of Conway.
Abigail disappeared Oct. 9 after leaving Kennett High School in Conway. Police said she walked her normal route toward her house and sent several texts between 2:30 p.m. and 3 p.m. However, she never made it home.
Police did reveal several months ago that she had written home to her mother. When the letter surfaced, FBI Special Agent In Charge Kieran Ramsey said there was the possibility that Abigail had run away but that someone could still be coercing her into staying away from home.
Following the teen's return on July 20, some speculated that Abigail had been pregnant and therefore ran away for nine months, however, Abigail's mother said on NBC's "Today" that the rumors weren't true. She also said she believes her daughter did not run away and didn't know the man believed to have driven off with her.
Kibby is scheduled to be arraigned Tuesday in Conway District Court.