crimesider

Aaron Hernandez Update: Man who says he was shot by ex-NFL star in Fla. ordered to appear before grand jury

Alexander Bradley, center, appears in Hartford Superior Court in Hartford, Conn. on July 2, 2013.
CBS Boston
(CBS/AP) HARTFORD, Conn. - A Connecticut man who says he lost an eye after being shot by Aaron Hernandez in February has been ordered to appear before a grand jury in Massachusetts that is investigating the former New England Patriots tight end.

PICTURES: NFL tight-end Aaron Hernandez

PICTURES: Notable athletes involved in murder-related cases

Superior Court Judge Joan Alexander in Hartford on Friday ordered Alexander Bradley to appear July 17 in Fall River, Mass.

READ: Timeline of Aaron Hernandez murder investigation

Bradley had been fighting an interstate subpoena, asserting he needed to return to Florida for medical treatment.

Bradley claims in a lawsuit he was shot by Hernandez with a handgun as they were driving in Florida after arguing in a Miami nightclub. At the time, he told police he did not know who had shot him. CBS Boston reports Bradley is looking for Hernandez to pay for facial reconstruction that he needs as a result of the alleged gunshot wound. The lawsuit was filed four days before the body of Boston semi-pro football player Odin Lloyd was found near Hernandez's home in North Attleborough, Mass. on June 17.

Hernandez has since been charged in the shooting death of Lloyd and subsequently released from the New England Patriots. He has pleaded not guilty and is being held without bail.

According to the station, Bradley appeared in Hartford Superior Court in Connecticut on Tuesday on unrelated charges that he banged down his ex-girlfriend's door and punched her in the face. Outside of court Tuesday, Bradley would reportedly not talk about his lawsuit against Hernandez, but inside court the injury to his right eye was apparent.

"He had several surgeries," Bradley's attorney said, according to the station. "He's a victim of a gunshot."

In 2006, Bradley reportedly spent a year and a half in prison on a drug conviction. On Tuesday, a judge ordered that he stay away from the ex-girlfriend he is accused of hitting. His civil case against Hernandez is ongoing.

Complete coverage of Aaron Hernandez on Crimesider

  • Stephanie Slifer

Comments

Follow Us