(CBS/AP) MIAMI - Several people called 911 after seeing events related to the face-chewing attack on homeless victim Ronald Poppo along a Miami causeway, according to recordings made public last week.
Emergency callers reported seeing a naked man swinging from a light pole along the MacArthur Causeway. According to public recordings, the first 911 call came at 1:53 p.m. on May 26 from a motorist who said a "completely naked man" was "acting like Tarzan" on the causeway.
Another male caller reported that he saw a man taking off his clothes and throwing them into traffic.
"You can't miss him. He's naked," the man said.
Police said these emergency calls came minutes before 31-year-old Rudy Eugene attacked 65-year-old Ronald Poppo, in which Eugene stripped off Poppo's clothes and chewed off most of his face before he was shot and killed by a police officer.
Other callers reported seeing two men fighting along the causeway, although they did not mention seeing Poppo's face being chewed.
"He's going to kill that man, I promise you," a female bus driver said. "Listen, there is a naked man on the MacArthur Causeway .... He is beating another man to a pulp - like on top of the man, beating him, the man is bleeding."
Another male caller said two men were fighting and nearly knocked over an elderly bicylist.
"These two bums were going at it with each other, taking up the whole lane," the caller said. "I think they were fighting or something."
Poppo remains hospitalized in Miami.