(CBS News) Award-winning chef, restaurateur and cookbook author Rick Moonen has been called "the godfather of seafood," and his Las Vegas restaurant, RM Seafood, is always packed to the gills.
His new place on the Vegas strip is the Rx Boiler Room, inspired by steampunk Victorian fantasy, featuring his spin on classic comfort food and cocktails.
On "CBS This Morning: Saturday," Moonen shared a few treats from the new menu, including his ultimate dish "Lamb Osso Bucco, Greek Style."
All Kale Caesar
Yield: 6 servings.
Ingredients for the Caesar Salad:
- 1.5 pounds mixed baby kale
- 1 pint Toasted Brioche croutons, 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch
- 12 ounces Caesar dressing
- 1 pint finely grated parmesan
- 18 each Ortiz Boqurones fillets
- Salt and Pepper
- 5 ea egg yolks
- 1 oz Dijon
- 1 oz anchovies
- 5 oz lemon juice
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 oz capers
- To taste black pepper
- 5 cups olive oil
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups Parmesan cheese
Place egg yolks, Dijon, anchovies, garlic, capers, lemon juice, and black pepper into a food processor. Puree until smooth.
With the machine running, very slowly add the oils to form an emulsion.
Once all of the oil is added, add in the cheese and pulse to combine.
Check the seasoning and reserve the dressing.
To dress the salad:
Add 2 oz. of dressing to a large mixing bowl.
Add 4 oz. of kale
1 tbsp of Parmesan cheese
2 oz. of croutons
Salt and pepper to taste.
Gently toss the salad together and place onto a plate.
Top the salad with 3 Boquerones, chopped chives and grated parmesan cheese.
Mahalo Matcha Panna Cotta
(Yield: 6-8 servings)
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 vanilla bean, scraped
- 5T granulated sugar
- 3 sheets gelatin
- 1 1/4 cups white chocolate, chopped
- 1T green tea matcha powder
- 1/4 t kosher salt
- 1/2 cup boiling hot water
1. Measure the cold buttermilk and pour into a medium sized stainless steel bowl. Cut the gelatin sheets in half with scissors and sprinkle evenly over the buttermilk to "bloom."
2. In a small pot add the heavy cream, vanilla bean and the sugar. Bring it to a boil while constantly whisking.
3. In a medium sized bowl, put the hot water and vigorously whisk in the green tea matcha powder. Allow to steep for 2 minutes to develop its natural flavor.
4. After the cream mixture has come to a full boil, remove it from the heat and whisk into the buttermilk/gelatin mixture to dissolve the gelatin. Add the green tea and whisk until fully incorporated. Add the salt and whisk until it has dissolved.
5. In a medium size bowl, partially melt the white chocolate and add to the liquid mixture. Whisk to melt pieces that haven't been 100 percent melted already.
6. Strain the completed mixture through a fine strainer.
7. Mold into desired bowl OR glass to your liking.
8. Refrigerate until set (about 2-3 hours)
Passion fruit Sorbet
(Yield: about 8-10 pints)
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cups glucose powder
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 t sorbet stabilizer
- 4 cups passion fruit puree (Les Vergers Boiron brand)
1. In a large pot, bring the water, glucose powder, sugar and stabilizer to a boil.
2. Add puree and whisk until fully incorporated.
3. Chill the mixture in an ice bath
4. Spin in an ice cream machine
Macadamia nut tuile batter
(Yield: about 1 cup)
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 1/2 T all-purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- 2 1/2 T water
- 2 1/2 T butter, melted
- 2 cups chopped macadamia nuts
1. In a kitchen aid mixer, whisk all the dry ingredients together
2. Slowly whisk in the butter and water. Mix until fully incorporated.
3. On a rubber silpat or wax paper, spread the tuile batter mix over a cut out flat circle stencil, then fully coat with macadamia nuts.
4. Bake at 350F for about 10 minutes or until the macadamia nuts are fully toasted
- Diced pineapples
- Li-hing mui powder
- Lemon zest
- Micro cilantro
Lamb Osso Bucco Baked with Orzo
Yield: 12 servings.
- 6 pounds Lamb Shanks cut into 2 inch thick steaks
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ea lemon zest and juice
- 3 tbs garlic, sliced
- 2 tbs dry savory
- 1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
Whisk together the olive oil, lemon, garlic, savory and the pepper. Place the marinade and the lamb shanks in a zip-top bag to combine. Let marinate for 12 hours.
To braise the lamb:
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 5 cups onion, small dice
- 2 cups celery, small dice
- 2 cups carrot, small dice
- 1/3 cup garlic, sliced
- 1 tbsp Ras el Hanout
- 1 tsp Aleppo pepper
- 1 tbsp dry savory
- 750 ml. dry red wine
- 1 1/2 quart lamb stock
- 1 10-pound can whole peeled tomato in puree (Crushed through a mill)
- 1/2 bunch parsley stems,
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme,
- 2 ea Bay leaves,
- 2 whole cinnamon sticks
- (all wrapped and tied in cheesecloth)
Remove the lamb from the marinade and season well with salt and pepper.
Heat a large, wide pan over medium high heat. Sear the seasoned lamb shanks very well on all sides in some oil. Remove when caramelized and keep covered.
Add the celery, carrot and onion. Cook for 5 minutes to soften.
Add the garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
Stir in the Aleppo, savory, and ras el hanout.
Deglaze the entire pan with the red wine. Scrape the bottom to release the brown bits.
Bring to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes.
Add the lamb stock, tomato, sachet and the reserved lamb shanks.
Taste and season the braising liquid.
Bring to a gentle simmer. Cover the pot and braise in a 300 degree oven for 2 hours (until the meat is very tender and almost falling off the bone.
Carefully remove the shanks to a hotel pan. Reduce the braising liquid by half to obtain a flavorful stock.
Remove the sachet and pour the braising liquid over the lamb.
Cool the lamb in the liquid. Reserve.
To Finish the Dish:
- 2 each lamb shanks, reheated in the braising liquid.
- 1/2 cup cooked orzo pasta (blanched in salted boiling water for 2 minutes, shocked, drained and coated in extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 tsp garlic, chopped
- 1/8 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp parsley, chiffonade
- 1 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Toast the garlic and orzo in a saute pan with a little bit of olive oil.
Add lemon zest and parsley.
Place lamb shanks on top of pasta and top with a spoonful of sauce.
Top the lamb with the cheese and more of the parsley.