Suspect in Afghan rampage returning to U.S.

Updated at 2:20 a.m. ET

(CBS News) The U.S. soldier accused in the shooting rampage that left 16 Afghan civilians dead is being transferred back to the United States after his removal from Afghanistan to Kuwait sparked anger from officials in both countries, reports CBS News national security correspondent David Martin.

The suspect, an Army staff sergeant who remains unidentified, is expected to be brought to the military prison at Fort Leavenworth in Kansas. U.S. and Kuwaiti military officials confirmed he had flown out of the country earlier Friday and John Henry Browne, the suspect's attorney, told the Associated Press that he or his legal partner Emma Scanlan would meet the suspect at Leavenworth next week.

Meanwhile, Pentagon officials are investigating independent reports that in the hours before the shooting, the accused soldier was drinking alcohol with two other soldiers, which is forbidden in a combat zone. Browne shot down media reports of alcohol and marital problems and focused on the stresses his client had experienced in combat, including witnessing a fellow soldier get his legs blown off the day before the alleged rampage.

"At this small base that he was at, somebody was gravely injured the day before this incident which affected all the soldiers there," Browne said.

Browne told the Associated Press Friday that he or his legal partner Emma Scanlan would meet the suspect at Leavenworth next week.

Browne released other new details about the suspect. He is from the Midwest, has two children, ages three and four, and is a highly decorated soldier with a flawless military record.

He said the suspect's family is stunned.

"He's never said anything antagonistic and Muslims. He's never said anything antagonistic and Middle Eastern individuals. He's in general very mild mannered. They were shocked," Browne said.

But he admitted the 38-year-old, who had been injured twice in Iraq, was reluctant about a fourth deployment.

"He and the family were told his tours of the Middle East were over and then literally overnight, that changed. So I think it's fair to say that he and the family were not happy that he was going back."

The family is now staying at Fort Lewis-McChord near Tacoma, Wash., for their protection.

Watch David Martin's full report in the video player above.

Comments

Follow Us

Watch CBSN Live

Watch CBS News anytime, anywhere with the new 24/7 digital news network. Stream CBSN live or on demand for FREE on your TV, computer, tablet, or smartphone.

The Newsroom