Kirby, formally named "Loteki's Supernatural Being," is an 8-year-old from the toy group. He pranced around the show ring, clearly enjoying the attention and winning the hearts of the crowd at Madison Square Garden. He beat out a field of six other finalists that included a Gordon setter, a standard poodle, a Saluki, and a German shepherd.
Owner-handler John Oulton, of Connecticut, dropped to his knees and put his hands on his face in joy when the judge pointed to Kirby as the winner. This was the 31st best-in-show for Kirby. He won top prize this summer at the World Championships in Helsinki.
Oulton says Kirby might retire now, though he noted how much the tiny black-and-white dog loves the attention.
Other group winners include:
- Non-sporting: Lake Cove That's My Boy, a standard poodle owned by longtime Westminster exhibitor Mrs. Alan Robson of Glenmoore, Pa.
- Terrier: Sunspryte's Just In Thyme, a Welsh terrier owned by Bill Cosby with Jean Heath and Beth Bates of Pleasanton, Calif.
- Working: Mentmore's Windy Meadow, a 3-year-old Bernese mountain dog owned by Cheryl Paterson of London, Ontario.
- Sporting: Bit O Gold Titan Treasure, who also won the group in 1997 and 1998. The Gordon setter is owned by Susan Lubrand, Barry Rose, Judy Brown and Peggy Nowak of Milwaukee.
- Hound: Sundown Alabaster Treasure, a graceful saluki owned by James D. Black of San Andreas, Calif.
- Herding: Windwalker's Yes Virginia, a 4-year-old German shepherd who belongs to Jamie Walker and Joe Greer of Albuquerque, N.M.
©1999 CBS Worldwide Corp. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed