(CBS/AP) SEAL BEACH, Calif. - Scott Dekraai, the suspect in the Seal Beach salon shooting rampage that left eight people dead and one critically wounded, is scheduled to be arraigned on Tuesday.
The 41-year-old is scheduled to appear in Orange County Superior Court on eight counts of murder and one count of attempted murder, according to CBS Los Angeles.
Orange County District Attorney Tony Rackauckas said previously that he would be seeking the death penalty for Dekraai.
"There are some cases that are so depraved, so callous and so malignant that there is only one punishment that might have any chance of fitting the crime," Rackauckas said according to the station.
The beauty parlor was packed with customers just after lunch on Oct. 12 when Dekraai, clad in a bulletproof vest, opened fire with at least two handguns, killing his ex-wife Michelle Fournier and seven others, including a man in his car outside the shop, authorities said. An elderly woman having her hair styled by her daughter, who died in the carnage, remains in critical condition.
According to police, Dekraai was stopped by officers about a half-mile away from the shooting scene at Salon Meritage. He surrendered without incident.
Rackauckas said the suspect had wanted revenge against his ex-wife with whom he fought over the custody of their son shortly before the massacre. Dekraai, who was in court with his ex-wife the day before the shooting, had been seeking sole custody of his 8-year-old son. It was a request the court denied, CBS Los Angeles reports.