Michaele and Tareq Salahi first came under scrutiny last week for gaining access to portions of the state dinner on Tuesday without proper White House or Secret Service clearance. Now, the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation is reportedly saying the couple attended a September CBC Foundation awards dinner without an invitation.
"I don't want to say it's like a kid getting his hand caught in the cookie jar, but in essence, that's pretty much what it was," Lance Jones, a communications official with the CBC foundation, told WTTG-TV, the Fox affiliate in Washington. "I had a sheet in front of me that said who was sitting at what table, and they weren't on that list."
Jones said he asked the couple for their identification and tickets, but they could not produce any tickets. He escorted the couple outside and told security guards they were not to be allowed back in. WTTG-TV reports the couple gained access to the party through an entrance for bus boys and caterers. The television network Bravo, which has been filming the Salahis, requested access to the CBC dinner but were denied entry.
Mr. Obama spoke at the awards dinner, though the attendees' access to the president was limited at the event.
The Salahis appeared on NBC's "Today Show" Tuesday morning and said reports that they crashed the CBC dinner could be chalked up to a "gossip rumor." They said they were invited as guests of the Gardner Law Group.
However, Jones told Politico that the CBC Foundation has "no record whatsoever" of the Gardner Law Group requesting tickets or attending the event.
The Salahis, as well as the Secret Service director, have been asked to testify before Congress about the incident at the state dinner. White House social secretary Desiree Rogers has also been asked to testify.
Photos: Michaele and Tareq Salahi
Salahis Defend Themselves
White House Crashers Break Silence
White House Party Crashers Called to Testify Before Congress
White House Crashers "Not Shopping" Story
Ex-Bush Official: Secret Service a "Scapegoat"