LONDON - Saif al-Islam Qaddafi, one of Libyan leader Muammar al Qaddafi's sons, told Britain's Sky News Tuesday that the country's air force has not been used to attack civilians protesting his father's regime.
Saif Al-Islam Qaddafi said Libya would welcome a fact-finding mission from any country to investigate recent events, including allegations that the military had been used against citizens.
"Show me one evidence, one witness," he said during the interview from the Libyan capital, Tripoli. "Show me a single attack against civilians."
British Foreign Secretary William Hague later told Sky News the Qaddafis "have lost touch with reality."
Leaders in the United States, Europe and Australia have suggested imposing a no-fly zone to prevent the Libyan leader from bombing his own people. But his son said citizens have not been attacked.
During the interview, his son said Libyans are united and criticized the U.N., the United States and Britain for interfering in his country's affairs. He warned Western forces against taking military action against Libya.
"Using force against Libya is not acceptable," he said. "There is no reason."
Libya is prepared to deal with intervention if necessary, he said.
"If they attack us, we are ready," Saif al-Islam Qaddafi said, adding that the Qaddafis are ready to implement reforms.
"We have no intention to be a ruling family," he said. "I say this many, many times before, for the last 10 years. We need democracy in Libya, but we should start with laws, local government, constitution, election. ... Everything should be organized and should be in the right way. We have to be efficient, although it is very tricky and very risky."
The British-educated son is the most visible of Qaddafi's children and has been acting as a spokesman for the regime.