Paul McCartney cancels Japan tour due to illness

Paul McCartney greets fans and journalists upon his arrival at Haneda Airport in Tokyo on May 15, 2014. TOSHIFUMI KITAMURA/AFP/Getty Images

Paul McCartney is canceling his entire Japan tour because of illness.

The former Beatle got a virus last week and canceled several appearances, apologizing online to fans.

Now, his organizers say he is not well enough to do any of the concerts on his "Out There Japan Tour 2014" including the one set for Wednesday at Nippon Budokan hall, where the Beatles performed during their first Japan tour in 1966.

"Doctors have ordered Paul complete rest and he has been doing all he can to get better," a message on his official website said. "Paul has only ever had to reschedule a handful of shows in his entire career and is so upset about this situation, he hates to let people down. This morning he told his staff he was going to try and perform tonight against doctors orders, but his team, along with the doctors, wouldn't allow it. He has been very moved by the fan's reactions and messages of love and support he has received in Japan."

McCartney, 71, is still scheduled for a concert in Seoul on May 28 at Jamsil Sports Complex Main Stadium, followed by 19 U.S. performances.

In Japan, two weekend concerts in Tokyo, a makeup concert scheduled for Monday and another in Osaka Saturday were all canceled.

Tickets are being refunded from Thursday. The most expensive tickets cost 100,000 yen ($1,000) each. Some fans traveled from out of town for the concerts. Japanese are among the world's most avid followers of Western pop music.

In a statement, McCartney said, "Thank you so much for your kind messages of support. I'm so very touched. Unfortunately my condition has not improved overnight. I was really hoping that I'd be feeling better today. I'm so disappointed and sorry to be letting my fans down."

Comments