TOMS RIVER, N.J. -- Police say an 11-year-old girl died after she was electrocuted while swimming in a lagoon behind a New Jersey home, CBS New York reports.
Toms River police say they responded to the scene at 8:12 p.m. for reports of a possible electrocution of a young girl.
Initial reports are that the child was swimming and using an inflatable raft with two of her friends when two of the girls touched the rail to a metal boat lift, sending an electric current through their equipment and causing the fatal injury.
Within minutes, Toms River police and EMS arrived and took over CPR that was begun by adults at the home.
First responders utilized an automated external defibrillator and rushed the little girl to Community Medical Center, where she was later pronounced dead.
Police say the girls were wearing life-jackets and were in the presence of adults at the time of the tragedy. The other girls were evaluated at the scene and were not injured, police said.
The child who died was a resident of Newark and was visiting friends, police said.