The Golden Globes aren't just about the awards. They're about the red carpet hits and misses.
On The Early Show the morning after, Glamour magazine Fashion Editor at Large Suze Yalof Schwartz gave her picks on both, and a look at this season's fashion trends among the stars.
You can have your say with Schwartz, on her new blog, by clicking here.
Schwartz told co-anchor Hannah Storm the overall big trends were black, white, and metallic. They ruled. So did Grecian dresses, as well as strapless. The hair was soft, romantic, and very unstructured. Bright colors of the past few seasons seemed to stand out. Makeup was dewy and natural -- and either the eyes or the lips were the main focal points.
Schwartz's favorites of the night:
1. Sienna Miller: Looked fresh, modern, and so different. Schwartz thought it was amazing. She wore marchesa.
2. Penelope Cruz: Schwartz loved her outfit. She had amazing makeup with the super smoky eyes. Schwartz loved her messy up-do, which was totally intentional. Her dress was very special.
3. Emily Blunt: The actress from "Devil Wears Prada" wore an eggshell-colored dress. Schwartz thought her dress was beautiful. Loved the lines.
4. Cameron Diaz: Schwartz loved her dress. It was just high-end fashion. Modern.
5. Drew Barrymore: Wore John Galliano for Dior -- the pink was beautiful. It was very retro.
6. Jessica Biel: How could she not be beautiful? The dress is pretty simple, but it really highlights her beauty.
Schwartz's least favorites of the night:
1. Beyonce: The dress looked dated. It made her look old instead of fresh. Her hair, however, looked good, which Schwartz noted was good because often, she feels Beyonce's hair is too done. If the red carpet is the runway, she looked last season.
2. Jennifer Love Hewitt: Looked awful. Her dress was similar to a bad prom dress. Her dress was by Georges Chakra.
3. Hillary Swank: Her Chanel dress really looked like yesterday. She just looked very, very plain. She's not one for ornate dresses, but this dress didn't do very much for her.
4. Angelina Jolie: The New York Post's "Page Six" reported Sunday that Jolie didn't like the dresses the St. John label presented her. She is contractually obligated to wear their looks on the red carpet, and Schwartz says this highlights a problem when celebrities make these deals because, what happens when they must wear a dress they don't like? Schwartz says it looked like Jolie didn't love what she was wearing. Also, her gold jewelry just didn't seem to go with the smoked grey silk chiffon look. Schwartz feels that this wasn't Jolie's best look on the red carpet.
5. Selma Hayek: Didn't look as great as she could. The dress just wasn't very nice on her.
6. Kyra Sedgwick: May have won an award for her acting, but her dress didn't win points with Schwartz. The dress wasn't flattering. It made her look super top-heavy, which she isn't. The dress was designed by J. Mendel.
7. Meryl Streep: Schwartz says she gets credit for trying to be fashionable, but not another great look. She wore Carolina Herrera. It was a blush seersucker chiffon gown.
8. Jennifer Garner: Also didn't do well. Normally looks great.
9. Reese Witherspoon: Always looks amazing – but didn't look as great. Schwartz liked it that she went out of her usual "vintage" look, but an overall thumbs-down. Her yellow dress was by Nina Ricci.
10. Vanessa Williams: This always beautiful woman didn't look great. Everything about her look was awful. Her hairpiece didn't match her regular hair. The dress was ill-fitting. It was designed by Carmen Marc Valvo.
Color trends: There were two big color trends: white or eggshell, and black. After several seasons of bright colors, black is making a strong comeback. Schwartz says it's no surprise. Black is always slimming, and after the bright colors, people wanted something different. We saw black on many stars, such as Sharon Stone and Cate Blanchett.
White/eggshell: This looked very fresh to Schwartz. Whether it was mixed up with black, this color went so well with the clean makeup and undone hair. Lots of celebrities wore this color, from Ali Larter, of "Heroes," to Emily Blunt.
So, the women who wore color -- well -- looked dated. Geena Davis, Naomi Watts, Jada Pinkett Smith, Renée Zellweger, and Toni Colette get an award for trying to wear color, but the dresses looked dated and not as fresh as they have in years past.
Metallic was another trend. Sandra Oh was wearing it.
An overall fashion trend: very Grecian. Everyone was wearing it -- even Helen Mirren.
Hair trend: Curly, romantic, undone, and loose up-dos -- very chic -- not overly structured. It's great.
Makeup trend: fresh makeup, clean. It was about dewy skin. Really sexy eyes.
Jewelry trend: Big earrings. We saw them on Jessica Biel, Jennifer Lopez, and many others. The big earrings looked very modern.
Copyright 2007 CBS. All rights reserved.