Casey Anthony sued by group that searched for daughter Caylee

Casey Anthony reacts to being found not guilty on murder charges
Casey Anthony reacts to being found not guilty on murder charges at the Orange County Courthouse on July 5, 2011 in Orlando, Florida.
Getty Images/Red Huber
(CBS/WKMG) ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. - Texas EquuSearch, a group that organized numerous searches for Florida toddler Caylee Anthony, is suing her mother, Casey Anthony, to recover money they spent spent looking for the child when she was  presumed missing.

Texas EquuSearch filed the suit in Orange County, Fla. on Tuesday seeking damages in excess of $15,000, reports CBS affiliate WKMG.

Casey Anthony, and her parents, enlisted the resources of the non-profit agency despite Casey knowing that Caylee was already dead, according to the complaint.

Tim Miller, founder of Texas EquuSearch, said from July to December 2008 the non-profit company spent over $100,000 on the unnecessary search and coordinated over 4,200 volunteers who dedicated tens of thousands of hours to looking for Caylee.

According to the lawsuit, the search was an "expensive and time consuming" one that used 40% of the group's yearly resources. Those resources, the suit says, could have been used to look for other missing children.

Texas EquuSearch says they had no idea Anthony knew Caylee was dead until the criminal trial. Her defense claimed Caylee drowned in the family swimming pool in July 2008.

Anthony was acquitted last week on charges she murdered her daughter.

The all new
CBS News App for Android® for iPad® for iPhone®
Fully redesigned. Featuring CBSN, 24/7 live news. Get the App