Casey Anthony seeks venue change in civil trial
Infamous Florida mother Casey Anthony was acquitted in July of murdering her 2-year-old daughter Caylee, after a six-week trial that gripped the nation. Caylee was reported missing on July 15, 2008, after Casey Anthony told her parents she had not seen Caylee since she was kidnapped by a nanny on June 16, 2008. Caylee's decomposed body was found in the woods near the Anthonys' home in December and a medical examiner was never able to determine how she died. At trial, the defense said Anthony lied about the nanny, claiming that Caylee had actually died in the family swimming pool on June 16. They stated that her seemingly carefree attitude was in fact a way for her to hide the emotional distress caused by sexual abuse from her father.
The prosecution contended that Caylee was suffocated with duct tape by her mother, who loved to party, tattooed herself with the Italian words for "beautiful life" in the month her daughter was missing and crafted elaborate lies to mislead everyone from investigators to her own parents about what had happened to her daughter.
Many dedicated followers of the trial camped outside the courthouse daily to get a spot to watch the drama unfold inside. It was this public fascination and heavy media attention that caused jury selection to take place outside of Orlando. Jurors were brought in from the Tampa Bay area and sequestered for the entire trial.
Anthony was acquitted of murder, and found guilty of four lesser charges of providing false information to a law enforcement officer. With credit for time served she spent only one additional week in jail after her sentencing.
Photo by Red Huber-Pool/Getty Images
ORLANDO, Fla. Attorneys for Casey Anthony are asking for a venue change in her coming defamation trial.
Her attorneys filed paperwork this week seeking to have the trial moved out of Orange County.
The Orlando Sentinel reports that attorneys argued that Anthony can never get an impartial jury due to pretrial publicity.
Anthony was acquitted last year of murder in the death of her 2-year-old daughter, Caylee. Her attorneys argue "the local media refuses to move on" and that the public feels as though "justice was not served" in the criminal case.
After Caylee disappeared in the summer of 2008, Anthony told investigators that a babysitter named Zenaida Gonzalez had kidnapped the toddler. Gonzalez later sued Anthony, claiming her reputation had been ruined.
The lawsuit is set for trial in January.
© 2012 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.