(CBS/AP) COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Columbus police department says it has closed the case against Ohio State running back and leading scorer Carlos Hyde because his alleged female assault victim did not wish to pursue charges.
Hyde had been suspended from all team activities in the wake of the incident, which occurred July 20 at a downtown bar. Ohio State did not immediately offer comment on whether he will be reinstated to the team.
When announcing Hyde's suspension from the team, Ohio State coach Urban Meyer said the player would be suspended from all team activities "pending the outcome of the student code of conduct and criminal investigations," according to CBS Sports.
Spokesman Sgt. Rich Weiner said as far as the police department is concerned, the case is officially closed. He said the alleged victim was interviewed on Saturday and said she did not want to continue with the case against the senior from Naples, Fla., who led Ohio State with 17 touchdowns and 102 points as the Buckeyes went 12-0 last season.