Last Updated Aug 28, 2009 3:12 PM EDT
It seemed for one brief moment on Wednesday that Beck might apologise for calling President Obama a "racist" with a "hatred of white people" -- thus ending the advertiser boycott of his Fox News Channel show -- but that moment has passed.
The context: This is unusual. I cannot remember the last time I saw such a complete, deliberate, sustained abandoning of a top-rated show by corporate America.
Although the story remains the same, as each day passes it becomes more dramatic. Who will cave first? Fox and Beck? Or advertisers who want 6 million eyeballs?
In the meantime, Beck yesterday addressed the president's alleged funding of Americorps with "half a trillion dollars." (It's actually being funded with less than $1 billion a year.) Beck claimed Americorps will become Obama's version of the SS:
... this is what Hitler did with the SS, he had his own people, he had the Brownshirts ...(They're actually going to be restoring parks and building houses.)
- Glenn Beck Addresses Ad Boycott: "They Can Take My Job!"; Channels Howard Beale From "Network"
- Glenn Beck Returns From Vacation; Can He End Ad Boycott This Week?
- UPDATED: Glenn Beck's Current Advertisers: Extenze and the "Egg Genie"
- UPDATED: Fox Runs House Ads to Fill Empty Slots in Glenn Beck Boycott
- Conagra, Roche, Sanofi and RadioShack Pull Ads From Fox's Beck
- Geico, Others Join Ad Boycott of Fox's Beck Over "Obama Is Racist" Remarks
- P&G, Progressive Pull Ads From Glenn Beck's Fox Show After "Obama Is Racist" Remarks
- Fox Axes Host in Ad Boycott Over Soccer Stadium Deaths