Last Updated Apr 26, 2011 9:20 PM EDT
Perhaps it's all the folks I know in New York, who escape to their amazing vacation homes on Long Island.
But what if you don't own an amazing vacation home in the place you actually want to vacation? What if you own an amazing first home, second home or even third home, but your kids decide they want to go somewhere else.
What do you do, buy a fourth home? There's an online solution that makes amazing vacation homes available to those who belong to 3rd Home, a new high-end vacation home exchange website.
3rd Home puts fabulous locations around the world at your fingertips - if your house is worth somewhere north of $1 million.
Luxury homeowners join the site, "deposit" at least one week at their fabulous property and then select a week at a house and location they want to visit. 3rd Home calls "it is a safe, fun and trustworthy way to expand the use of their second homes without the hassles of renting."
So most of us will probably never participate in this program, but we all deserve to take a peek. Here are 7 amazing vacation homes you can't rent:
1. Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Six separate suites make up this gorgeous property that seems more like a private resort than a vacation home. Two of the suites are in even in separate casitas.
From the infinity edge pool, complete with swim up bar, visitors can admire views of Cabo San Lucas harbor and the Sea of Cortez.
Inside the home, granite and marble abound, and other amenities include a movie room, game room and exercise room.
2. Palm Beach, Florida, USA
The single-family home is 6,500 square feet, two levels and located 30 minutes from West Palm Beach Airport.
There is also a great outdoor entertaining space, a practical outdoor living room next to the pool completely covered to protect from rain.
3. Las Hadas, Manzanillo, MexicoThis property is made up of five suites covering 10,000 square feet.
"Perched 350 feet over the Pacific with two pools connected by a 15 foot waterfall," this Greek-style villa is something out of a dream.
If the setting alone doesn't make you feel like royalty, the six servants included in your stay might do the trick.
There's also a chef on site, and a getaway to this property comes with true resort perks like massages, snorkeling, sunset cruises and everything else befitting of a beach paradise.
4. Casa Alegre, Dominican RepublicA truly "oceanfront estate", the wooden style home is a fully staffed villa with nine bedrooms and 10 bathrooms.
There are two pools (one for children and another with a swim-up bar for adults), a tennis court and even a golf cart to help you get around the 2.6 acres and 650 feet of private oceanfront.
Located within the resort community of Casa De Campo, staying at the 24,000 square foot villa gets you guest access to all of the resort's features--including three Pete Dye designed golf courses, one of which, called "Teeth of the Dog", is ranked the #1 golf course in the Caribbean.
5. Baan Tao Talay Villa, Thailand
If a more eastern beach getaway is your desire, consider the Bann Tao Talay Villa in Thailand.
Built in the traditional Thai style, this villa has breathtaking views of the shores of Koh Samui and the archipelago.
Amenities include a private sandy beach, swimming pool, jacuzzi and gym.
Built as part of a larger development, a chef and concierge are at your whim.
6. Paradise Valley, Montana, USAIt may be one of the smallest homes on our list but the breathtaking views of tall cottonwood trees and mountains make this home seem anything but small.
Located on the Yellowstone river, this 4,800 square foot home has panoramic mountain views.
Six bedrooms and four bathrooms are spread between two houses. There's also a fully equipped fitness center and a steam room in the master bedroom.
Another great feature? The house is less than 45 minutes away from the entrance of Yellowstone Park. However, as with most places near Yellowstone, it's a bit of a trek to get there, the nearest airport is an hour away.
7. Aspen, Colorado, USAThe only other cold-blooded property on the list is located in famed Aspen. The home was completely renovated in 2009 and has five bedrooms, five full baths and two half baths.
Only 20 minutes from the airport this is one of the most accessible properties on our list, and with room for 12 guests it's perfect for a family vacation.
If the mountain views aren't cozy enough, the masters have en-suite fireplaces and there is an outdoor hot-tub on the deck.
A five minute shuttle ride will get you to the slopes in the winter, but if you aren't interested in visiting during the cold months, the house is situated on the Northstar golf course.
- Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban Buy a $10 Million House With Car Elevator
- Micahel Jackson's Los Angeles Rental For Sale
- Dr. Phil Remembers The Alamo - and Buys $30 Million House to Prove It!
- Real Housewife Star Teresa Giudice Becomes a Desperate Housewife in the Face of Bankruptcy
- Cher's Home In Hawaii Up For Auction
- 11 Kitchen And Bath Trends For 2010
- Who Bought Hugh Hefner And Playboy Wife Kim's House For $18 Million?
- What Can You Buy For $950,000?
- What Can You Buy For $625,000?
- What Can You Buy For $250,000?
Ilyce R. Glink is the author of several books, including 100 Questions Every First-Time Home Buyer Should Ask and Buy, Close, Move In!. She blogs about money and real estate at ThinkGlink.com and The Equifax Personal Finance Blog, and is Chief Content Strategist at RealtyJoin.com, a community for real estate investors.