"7/7" victims' families may have been hacked too

GENERIC British britain england english police terror terrorism security guard arrest CBS/AP

CBS/AP

Where once the idea of a tabloid hacking into the phone of a dead girl to get a scoop seemed a terrible low, the U.K.'s News of the World has managed to have its reputation dragged down further.

Scotland Yard officials have contacted the families of the victims of Britain's "7/7" terrorism attack, warning them that they too may have had their phones hacked by a News of the World investigator, reports several British news outlets.

As bad as that seems, police officials in Britain have widened their investigation to include the family of every major crime drama there in the last decade, under reasonable suspicions the News of the World phone hacking scandal may be a lot bigger than first revealed, The Guardian reports.

The June 7, 2005, attacks saw 56 people killed and hundreds wounded when a series of coordinated suicide bomb attacks were unleashed during London's morning rush hour. Some of the families of the victims, including Graham Foulkes, father of victim David, told Sky News that they are outraged at the newest hacking report.

UK tabloid accused of hacking dead girl's phone

While in the middle of one of the worst periods of his life, "the thought that the press was listening in to those conversations is beyond description. I would like to see News International hung, drawn and quartered," Foulkes said.

The Rupert Murdoch-owned News International is the parent company for News of the World.

Foulkes told The Guardian newspaper that that he had been contacted by officers investigating the tabloid phone hacking scnadal. He said they had told him his mobile phone number, ex-directory landline number and address had been found in records made by the investigator at the center of the case.

That investigator, Glenn Mulcaire, is already also accused of hacking into the phone of a then-missing 13-year-old girl named Milly Dowler. While it later was revealed that she had been abducted and killed by a serial killer, Mulcaire's actions may have impeded the investigation into her disappearance and given the family false hope, because Mulcaire deleted some of her voicemails, making it seem like she had checked in.

The phone hacking scandal may not stop there, either. Investigators are now examining every high-profile case involving the murder, abduction or attack on any child since 2001, suspecting further dirty play by the tabloid, The Guardian reports.

Officers have already told the parents of Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman, the two young girls killed in 2002 by Ian Huntley, that their phones had been hacked, The Guardian reports.

  • Joshua Norman

    Joshua Norman is a Senior Editor at CBSNews.com.

Comments

Watch CBSN Live

Watch CBS News anytime, anywhere with the new 24/7 digital news network. Stream CBSN live or on demand for FREE on your TV, computer, tablet, or smartphone.