Presidential vacations: How does Obama compare?
Following his three-day bus tour to promote his economic agenda -- and not to mention the debt limit rancor in Washington before that -- President Obama is finally getting some rest and relaxation.
On Thursday, he and his family are heading off to Martha's Vineyard, the island off of Massachusetts. They'll be staying at a 28-acre retreat called Blue Heron Farm for about 10 days.
There has been criticism of the president's vacation at this time. But how does the number of vacation days the president has spent compare to his predecessors? CBS Radio's Mark Knoller has kept track of presidential vacations for years and supplied the data.
So far, President Obama has taken 61 vacation days after 31 months in office. At this point in their presidencies, George W. Bush had spent 180 days at his ranch where his staff often joined him for meetings. And Ronald Reagan had taken 112 vacation days at his ranch.
Among recent presidents, Bill Clinton took the least time off -- 28 days.
To be fair, a presidential vacation away from the White House is not the same as a vacation for the average person. The president is still in contact with his advisers and on call for any emergency.
Mark Knoller: When presidents go on "vacation," controversy follows
- Okla. tornado survivor finds dog buried alive under rubble
- Teacher injured in Okla. tornado takes first steps
- Survivor of Bangladesh factory collapse speaks out
- 5/23: Obama: The war on terror, "like all wars, must end"; baby born as tornado struck
- Oklahoma miracle baby -- born amidst tornado chaos
- Man killed in brutal London attack
- CBS News goes undercover in a Bangladesh clothing factory
- Injured third-grade teacher tells of trying to protect students
- Resentment over wars may have motivated London terror attack
- Storm spotter: Oklahoma tornado "a nightmare"
- The forecaster who sounded the alarm for Moore, Okla.
- Sibling rivalry takes a backseat after Okla. tornado
- Did Obama admin. know of IRS targeting during campaign?
- 16-year-old finds a new way to detect cancer
- Tornado victim reunites with dog during interview
- Jersey Shore shop owners reopen for Memorial Day