The Westminster Abbey website notes that the present building dates from King Henry III's reign (1216-1272). He ordered the east section of the Abbey that Edward the Confessor founded be pulled down and a shrine to Edward be built.
On Oct. 13, 1269, Edward the Confessor's remains were moved to the new shrine. The radiating chapels, transepts, apse and choir were already complete.
The Lady Chapel was started in 1503 by Henry VII and completed after his death. It replaced the 13th century chapel.
The west towers were completed in 1745.
Photo: Westminster Abbey
Special section: The royal wedding