"The Monuments Men" pushed back to 2014

George Clooney's World War II drama "The Monuments Men" is being pushed to 2014 and out of this year's awards season.

A spokesman for Sony Pictures said Wednesday the movie will now be released in the first quarter of next year, instead of its planned release date of Dec. 18. "Monuments Men," which Clooney directed, co-wrote and stars in, had been expected to be a top Oscar contender.

The film could still compete for awards next year, but the early-in-the-year positioning suggests Sony doesn't expect it to. Sony said the film is being delayed so Clooney can finish the film's extensive visual effects.

The film is about a WWII platoon whose mission is to rescue artworks from the Nazis. It stars Bill Murray, Jean Dujardin, John Goodman, Huge Bonneville and Cate Blanchett.

The Los Angeles Times first reported the release date change.

Comments

Watch CBSN Live

Watch CBS News anytime, anywhere with the new 24/7 digital news network. Stream CBSN live or on demand for FREE on your TV, computer, tablet, or smartphone.

Watch Now

New Android App

For your Android phone and tablet, download the FREE redesigned app, featuring CBSN, live 24/7 news.

Download
The all new
CBS News App for Android® for iPad® for iPhone®
Fully redesigned. Featuring CBSN, 24/7 live news. Get the App