Suspect in custody after deadly mass stabbing in Brooklyn

Police officers wait outside a residence Sunday, Oct. 27, 2013, in the Sunset Park neighborhood of Brooklyn where five people, including a toddler, were stabbed to death earlier in New York. AP Photo

NEW YORK New York City police pressed forward Sunday in investigating the deaths of four children and a woman who were stabbed at a Brooklyn residence, saying a person of interest had been taken into custody.

A barefoot man was taken from the house in handcuffs after the incident, his feet covered in blood, reports WCBS in New York. He was brought to Brooklyn's 66th Precinct at around 11 p.m. on Saturday night.

In addition to the five dead, a sixth person is in critical condition, reports WCBS.

Officers arrived at the scene and found all five victims unconscious and unresponsive, police said. A 1-year-old boy and two girls, ages 7 and 9, were pronounced dead at the residence by emergency responders.

A boy, 5, and the 37-year-old woman were taken to two Brooklyn hospitals where they were pronounced dead, police said.

Authorities were withholding the victims' names until family members had been properly notified.

Fire Department spokesman Jim Long said emergency workers responded just before 11 p.m. Saturday to a 911 call from a person stabbed at the residence in the Sunset Park neighborhood.

Adjoining two-story brick buildings sit on a tree-lined block in the working-class neighborhood where the stabbings occurred.

A neighbor May Chan told the Daily News it was "heartbreaking" to learn of the deaths.

"I always see (the kids) running around here," Chan said. "They run around by my garage playing. They run up and down screaming."

Comments